Preparing for Data Analysis
Check your data:
- Is it complete?
- What is the quality of recordings, transcriptions or notes?
- Organize your data
- Add ID numbers to interviews
- Group by site, individual or group
- Set up a filing system
- Keep back-up files
- Identify the source of all of your data (groups, sites, individuals, dates, etc.)
- Prepare your data
- Transcribe and number the lines
- Enter into a word processing program
- Decide how you will analyze – by interview question? By respondent? Will you use data analysis software?
If quality of recordings, transcriptions or notes are low, the best option (if possible) is to follow up with participants to clarify any questions or gaps in the data. If this is not an option, one must be explicit in the write up to identify any concerns or shortcomings with the data that may affect analysis and interpretation of data.