Pilot the Survey
Pilot The Survey Instrument
Share a draft of your instrument with a several individuals who have a knowledge base, experiences, or perspectives that are similar to your respondents. Ask them to complete the survey and review their responses to make sure you are getting the information you want. Follow up with each person to identify any potential problems:
- Did they understand the instructions?
- Were any questions unclear?
- Did the sequence of the questions make sense?
- Did any questions provide inadequate response options?
- Were some types of questions or options missing?
- How long did it take to complete the survey?
- Was the survey too long or about right?